What is prevention and health promotion? This sector consists of all the actions undertaken to prevent the occurrence of an undesirable situation. In Nunavik, prevention and health promotion take concrete form through various approaches and activities.
Many public-health professionals are working at:
- designing public-health policies (e.g., anti-smoking);
- creating environments favourable to health and healthy lifestyles (e.g., representations for access to fresh foods);
- strengthening community actions (e.g., well-being committee);
- reorienting health services (e.g., preventive counselling during clinical interventions);
- developing individual skills (e.g., training on various health topics).
The following are the topics under which actions in prevention and health promotion are presently organized for Nunavimmiut:
- healthy eating;
- food security;
- youths and families;
- environments favourable to healthy lifestyles;
- physically active lifestyles;
- mental and psychosocial health;
- diabetes prevention;
- Healthy School program;
- Nunavik Nutrition and Health Committe.
The Health Promotion Calendar highlights national and international events dedicated to different health promotion topics.
This calendar was created to inform about existing health-promotion campaigns, provide credible sources of information on health topics and inspire the organizations in local or regional community-health promotion activities.
The majority of health topics included in this calendar are regional health priorities. While it is certainly worthwhile to hold activities all year long on these topics, feel free to underline some of these specific awareness campaigns in your community.
Also, for certain of the topics, funding and promotional/educational tools are available: contact one of the officers to obtain more information.
If you wish to obtain funding for a project, fill out the form and return it to us. We will be pleased to review your application.